Maintaining Digestive Health on Vacation
It’s the first day of vacation, and you have your bags packed and a whole itinerary chalked out. A large section of your “Must Visit” list, usually includes eateries you must visit and local cuisines you must try. However, if you are not careful, you can get a digestive problem that can put a damper on your trip. Diarrhea is a common problem while traveling. It is caused by consuming food or drink contaminated with bacteria. Here are some tips on how to stay clear of diarrhea when you’re on a vacation:
- Avoid unpasteurized foods and drinks.
- Ensure that your meat is cooked through and hot when served.
- Do not consume uncooked fruits and vegetables that have been peeled.
- Avoid street food.
- Drink only bottled water. Use to brush your teeth too.
- Avoid ice in your drinks unless you’re certain that it’s made from drinking water.
- Greasy and fatty food
- Coffee and caffeinated drinks
- Dairy products
- Foods and drinks loaded with sugar
- Hydrate yourself by drinking plenty of fluids including water, juices and clear liquids. This will loosen your stools and ease bowel movements.
- Dehydration can cause poor digestion and result in constipation so avoid alcohol and caffeinated drinks.
- A holiday is the one time you can break free from all restrictions and diets, but as you indulge, ensure that you include a considerable amount of fiber in every meal, like a salad and plenty of local fruits.
- Listen to your body and visit the bathroom whenever you get a signal even if it interrupts your plans.
- Exercise and stay active. Avoid sitting to too long.
- Keep your gut bacteria happy with probiotics. Yogurt, sauerkraut and miso help maintain the intestines’ good bacteria, which help in digestion and prevent problematic fungi from flourishing.
- Most importantly, you should try and keep your diet and bathroom schedules as close as possible to your normal routine when at home.
- Sleep and waking timings different from your regular schedule, and changes in activity levels can bring about a shift in your hormone levels and your metabolism.