Key Actions to Keep Your Gut Healthy All Summer Long
Summertime is moving our way which, for the majority of us, means fun in the sun and treasured relaxation time. Ahead of hitting the beach or hopping on a plane to go on your next grand exploration, don't lose sight of how important it is to keep positive habits that will aid your gut health. With rising temps and rising exhaustion levels, your gut health can take a serious beating during the summer. At GI Alliance, our gastrointestinal physicians have set our goal to provide you with the service and education you need in order to enjoy a digestive system in optimal health. Read on as our United States team sheds some (sun)light on the best ways to sustain your gut health this summer.
What makes summer months hard for gut health?
The summer months are known to be brutal on digestive wellness, making a healthy gut have trouble and any pre-existing gastrointestinal situations worse. Some of the primary factors that can open the door to sub-par digestive health and uncomfortable gastrointestinal symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation, are:
- Dehydration: High temps translate to your body consuming fluids to keep cool at a higher rate, and you may be failing to keep up with replacing used fluids.
- Inconsistent eating habits: If you’re traveling or treating yourself to summer indulgences, it can be challenging to plan ahead for a nutritious meal.
- Fatigue: Summer events could leave you low on energy, which ultimately impacts your gut health.
If you have an existing gastrointestinal condition, then watching your habits carefully can mean the difference between summer months of healthy enjoyment and a summertime spent in misery. To get additional information regarding how to manage your specific GI issues, reach out to any one of our experienced gastroenterologists.
How do I sustain good gut health during the summer months?
With some thoughtful planning, one can ensure a healthy gut throughout the summer months. Marvel in your vacations or relaxing beach days and remain comfortable in the fact that you are taking precautions to make certain your digestive system has a fabulous time, too. A few of the primary practices you can use to boost your health include:
- Drink water: Remain hydrated, specifically in the event that you are out in the sun and sweating profusely. Dehydration might be the cause of constipation, along with other problematic digestive problems.
- Consume foods rich in fiber: Add some dark green veggies and add some delicious summer fruits to your diet to sustain your fiber consumption, which helps with digestion.
- Try probiotics: Your gut houses a precise balance of beneficial bacteria. One way you can supercharge your gut wellness is by supporting those good bacteria with probiotic-rich food and supplements.
- Plan healthy meals: All of those summertime treats like soda, ice cream, and barbeque can be great in limited quantities, but remember to plan for nutritious dinners to avoid putting your digestive system into overdrive.
- Get moderate exercise: Be on the lookout for extreme humidity or heat warnings, but a pleasant jog around your neighborhood while the sun sets is a great way to keep your digestive system moving.
When should I see a specialist regarding digestive health?
If you have to deal with any of the symptoms listed below persistently during your summer bash, it is time to seek a GI Alliance physician to identify and treat the source as soon as possible:
- Abdominal pain
- Persistent diarrhea
- Chronic heartburn
If you see blood in your stool, reach out to a gastroenterology physician right away.
Keep a healthy summer digestive system
The summertime months can push your gut to work harder to make sure your body stays healthy and functioning properly. Treat your gut well and make sure to maintain healthy habits that will make sure your sunny days stay enjoyable all summer long. If you need help or support managing a gastrointestinal malady during the summer months, don't hesitate to contact our practice to find a gastrointestinal specialist. Our physician-led network of GI physicians delights in providing patient-centric treatment to people just like you. Connect with GI Alliance as soon as possible to discover more.