Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What is obesity?
Obesity is defined as having an excessive amount of body fat, usually diagnosed by calculating a patient's BMI (Body Mass Index). A BMI over 25 is typically classified as overweight and a BMI over 30 is usually classified as obese. There are a number of reasons why a patient might have an excessive amount of body fat and difficulty losing weight. Obesity raises the risk of many other diseases including cancers, heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure. If you or a loved one is clinically obese, then you can partner with a skilled gastroenterologist to help you lose weight and reduce your risk of developing other obesity-related complications. Contact GI Alliance to find a gastroenterology provider near you.
What causes obesity?
Obesity is often a chronic condition that develops into a problem over a long period of time. Obesity can have multiple causes that include:
- Genetic predisposition: A patient is more likely to be obese if members of their family are also obese.
- Sedentary lifestyle: Persons who are less likely to be physically active during the week are more likely to be obese.
- Overeating: Binge eating and overeating leads to weight gain.
- Medications: Some medications like certain types of antidepressants, anticonvulsants, and antipsychotics can cause weight gain.
- Diseases: Conditions like hypothyroidism and polycystic ovarian syndrome are linked to increased weight gain and obesity.
- Psychological factors: Patients who have anxiety or are prone to emotional eating can be more likely to gain weight.
How is obesity treated?
The treatment of obesity involves taking steps to reduce a patient's weight and improve their overall quality of life. These treatments can include:
- Dietary changes
- Exercise programs
- Behavioral therapy
- Medications to help with weight-loss
- Weight-loss surgery
If you or someone you love struggles with obesity, then partner with an expert gastroenterologist through GI Alliance to learn more about the different treatment options available.
Sustainable weight loss for patients with obesity
If you or someone you love has struggled with obesity, then you might already know firsthand how difficult a sustainable weight-loss plan can be. Partner with an expert gastroenterologist through GI Alliance and let a team of professionals guide and counsel you. GI Alliance is the nation's leading physician-led network of gastroenterologists and its philosophy is to provide patient-centric care that delivers results. Contact a GI Alliance location near you to learn more or to request a consultation.
Always takes time to answer all questions. Great bedside manner.
Dr Robinson was very thorough and office was clean.
Dr. Wegmann is a very kind and caring doctor. I was very lucky he was on call the day I had to be admitted to the hospital. I've continued to see him for diverticulitis. I have recommended him to several friends.
Very kind and takes time to explain everything in depth and detail
Dr Qureshi was outstanding. He answered all my questions I needed. He is a kind and considerate man. His manner was great very professional. Made accommodations for me in the amount of pain I was in. Got me in quick. Thank you Dr Qureshi.