Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What is obesity?
Obesity is defined as having an excessive amount of body fat, usually diagnosed by calculating a patient's BMI (Body Mass Index). A BMI over 25 is typically classified as overweight and a BMI over 30 is usually classified as obese. There are a number of reasons why a patient might have an excessive amount of body fat and difficulty losing weight. Obesity raises the risk of many other diseases including cancers, heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure. If you or a loved one is clinically obese, then you can partner with an expert gastroenterologist to help you lose weight and reduce your risk of developing other obesity-related complications. Contact GI Alliance to find an expert GI doctor near you.
What causes obesity?
Obesity is often a chronic condition that develops into a problem over a long period of time. Obesity can have multiple causes that include:
- Genetic predisposition: A patient is more likely to be obese if members of their family are also obese.
- Sedentary lifestyle: Persons who are less likely to be physically active during the week are more likely to be obese.
- Overeating: Binge eating and overeating leads to weight gain.
- Medications: Some medications like certain types of antidepressants, anticonvulsants, and antipsychotics can cause weight gain.
- Diseases: Conditions like hypothyroidism and polycystic ovarian syndrome are linked to increased weight gain and obesity.
- Psychological factors: Patients who have anxiety or are prone to emotional eating can be more likely to gain weight.
How is obesity treated?
The treatment of obesity involves taking steps to reduce a patient's weight and improve their overall quality of life. These treatments can include:
- Dietary changes
- Exercise programs
- Behavioral therapy
- Medications to help with weight-loss
- Weight-loss surgery
If you or someone you love struggles with obesity, then partner with an expert gastroenterologist through GI Alliance to learn more about the different treatment options available.
Sustainable weight loss for patients with obesity
If you or someone you love has struggled with obesity, then you might already know firsthand how difficult a sustainable weight-loss plan can be. Partner with an expert gastroenterologist through GI Alliance and let a team of professionals guide and counsel you. GI Alliance is the nation's largest physician-led network of gastroenterologists and its philosophy is to provide patient-centric care that delivers results. Contact GI Alliance to learn more.
Dr. Sorrel was awesome and very personable. The entire personnel and experience is one of the most pleasant I have had in Lubbock. I highly recommend her.
Dr Patel was very good. I felt comfortable with him. He was very easy to talk with I will be seeing him again.
Dr Patel and his team were really great. I was having a lot of anxiety and they took time to talk to me and address my concerns. Made me feel really comfortable and they provided great follow up
Dr Treanor is a very fine Doctor whom has been so kind and engages in conversation of questions ask and take time to explain to me what I need to know. I moved out of state and still want to keep him as my Doctor.
Excellent and professional employees the best Amarillo has to offer. Highly recommend