Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What is gallbladder disease?
The gallbladder is an organ that stores and releases bile to aid in digestion. The term gallbladder disease is used to describe various issues and diseases that negatively affect your gallbladder. These conditions include:
- Gallstones- Hard particles that block the passageway to the gallbladder and bile ducts.
- Cholecystitis- An inflammation of the gallbladder which is typically caused by gallstones. Over time the gallbladder can shrink and lose its ability to release bile.
- Choledocholithiasis- When a gallstone is lodged in the exit way of the gallbladder, the gallbladder can become inflamed.
- Acalculous gallbladder disease- When your gallbladder becomes inflamed without the presence of gallstones.
- Biliary dyskinesia- Lower than normal gallbladder function
- Sclerosing cholangitis- Ongoing inflammation and damage to the bile duct system that leads to scarring.
If you have a condition of the gallbladder such as any of the listed conditions above, you should have an expert gastroenterologist guiding you through the treatment process. To locate a skilled gastroenterologist near you, contact GI Alliance.
What causes gallbladder disease?
A majority of issues with the gallbladder come from the formation of gallstones. Gallstones are formed when cholesterol and other substances found in liver bile clot and form stones. You also might have tumors that prevent the bile from draining correctly, an infection, or blood vessel issues. Whatever the cause of your gallbladder disease, you can find expert help through the nation's largest physician-led network of gastroenterologists. An expert from GI Alliance will be able to evaluate your condition and help you find the most ideal path for treatment.
What are the symptoms of gallbladder disease?
Symptoms of gallbladder disease include:
- Abdomen tender to the touch
- Pain that spreads to your back or right shoulder
- Severe abdominal pain, especially in your upper right or center abdomen
If you experience any of these troubling GI tract symptoms, contact an expert gastroenterologist right away.
What are the treatments for gallbladder disease?
The best way to prevent the risk of gallstones is to maintain a healthy weight, lose weight slowly if needed, and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Many gallbladder diseases can be diagnosed by a simple ultrasound. Sometimes your doctor may suggest further imaging such as a CT or MRI scan. If treatment is necessary, possible treatments include:
- Fasting- this can give your inflamed gallbladder a rest and decrease inflammation.
- Gallbladder removal (cholecystectomy)
- Medications to dissolve gallstones
- Pain relief medication
Contact us todayFind A Provider Find A Location
Innovative gallbladder disease treatment
Gallbladder diseases such as gallstones, cholecystitis, and biliary dyskinesia can be diagnosed and treated by an expert gastroenterologist with GI Alliance. If you are exhibiting troubling symptoms related to your GI tract, then it is important for you to contact a skilled GI doctor in your area as soon as possible so that you can be evaluated for conditions like gallbladder disease. As the nation's largest physician-led network of GI specialists, GI Alliance is well-equipped with the latest innovative treatment options for patients with gallbladder disease. To locate an expert gastroenterologist that can help treat your gallbladder disease, please contact GI Alliance today.
Very pleasant, informative, and helpful
Amazing Staff and personable professionals!
Dr. Tsiakis was wonderful. He. took his time to explain my colonoscopy and what to expect. He was very informative with my history and expressed concerns for my family history of colon cancer. Nice bedside manners. His nurses were very pleasant as well. I definitely would recommend him.
From the time I entered till I left. The team was professional and upbeat. They made sure I was comfortable every step of the way. Thank you for such personal care. I felt like I was a VIP patient.
Had a recent appointment with Dr. Bolin. Amazingly short wait time. I barely finished the little bit of paperwork I had to fill out to register before I was heading back to the exam room. He came in shortly, answered my questions clearly. He is very personable, thorough. I don't think I could ask for a better care provider. Everyone at the office made for a good experience.