Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What is gallbladder disease?
The gallbladder is an organ that stores and releases bile to aid in digestion. The term gallbladder disease is used to describe various issues and diseases that negatively affect your gallbladder. These conditions include:
- Gallstones- Hard particles that block the passageway to the gallbladder and bile ducts.
- Cholecystitis- An inflammation of the gallbladder which is typically caused by gallstones. Over time the gallbladder can shrink and lose its ability to release bile.
- Choledocholithiasis- When a gallstone is lodged in the exit way of the gallbladder, the gallbladder can become inflamed.
- Acalculous gallbladder disease- When your gallbladder becomes inflamed without the presence of gallstones.
- Biliary dyskinesia- Lower than normal gallbladder function
- Sclerosing cholangitis- Ongoing inflammation and damage to the bile duct system that leads to scarring.
If you have a condition of the gallbladder such as any of the listed conditions above, you should have an expert gastroenterologist guiding you through the treatment process. To locate a skilled gastroenterologist near you, contact GI Alliance.
What causes gallbladder disease?
A majority of issues with the gallbladder come from the formation of gallstones. Gallstones are formed when cholesterol and other substances found in liver bile clot and form stones. You also might have tumors that prevent the bile from draining correctly, an infection, or blood vessel issues. Whatever the cause of your gallbladder disease, you can find expert help through the nation's largest physician-led network of gastroenterologists. An expert from GI Alliance will be able to evaluate your condition and help you find the most ideal path for treatment.
What are the symptoms of gallbladder disease?
Symptoms of gallbladder disease include:
- Abdomen tender to the touch
- Pain that spreads to your back or right shoulder
- Severe abdominal pain, especially in your upper right or center abdomen
If you experience any of these troubling GI tract symptoms, contact an expert gastroenterologist right away.
What are the treatments for gallbladder disease?
The best way to prevent the risk of gallstones is to maintain a healthy weight, lose weight slowly if needed, and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Many gallbladder diseases can be diagnosed by a simple ultrasound. Sometimes your doctor may suggest further imaging such as a CT or MRI scan. If treatment is necessary, possible treatments include:
- Fasting- this can give your inflamed gallbladder a rest and decrease inflammation.
- Gallbladder removal (cholecystectomy)
- Medications to dissolve gallstones
- Pain relief medication
Innovative gallbladder disease treatment
Gallbladder diseases such as gallstones, cholecystitis, and biliary dyskinesia can be diagnosed and treated by an expert gastroenterologist with GI Alliance. If you are exhibiting troubling symptoms related to your GI tract, then it is important for you to contact a skilled GI doctor in your area as soon as possible so that you can be evaluated for conditions like gallbladder disease. As the nation's largest physician-led network of GI specialists, GI Alliance is well-equipped with the latest innovative treatment options for patients with gallbladder disease. To locate an expert gastroenterologist that can help treat your gallbladder disease, please contact GI Alliance today.
Dr Fernandes is one of the most professional, caring and competent physicians I’ve ever had. Each experience has been excellent. Highest recommendation.
From the moment I arrived until the time I left I was treated with great care and respect. Dr. Levitan and the staff from the nurses to the front desk were top notch. I would highly recommend Lone Star Endoscopy in Southlake. Thank you
The best Doctor in the world,
I would like to say to Dr. Ramirez, thank you! You gave me the attention a patient could ever ask for. You were very informative, caring and made me feel like family. I recommend Dr.Ramirez to my family and friends.
I would highly recommend Dr. Robert's for any gastrointestinal issues. We trust him with our gastrointestinal health 100%.