Richard T. Shaffer, M.D.
Ages Treated: 18+
- Virtual Telemedicine Visits Available, Call For Details
- Board Certified Gastroenterologist
- Currently Accepting New Patients
- Most Insurance Plans Accepted
- Performs Colonoscopies
About Richard T. Shaffer, M.D.
Dr. Shaffer’s collegiate experience has earned him recognition in the Phi Kappa Phi at the University of Maryland. After obtaining his M.D. degree from George Washington University, Dr. Shaffer entered the United States Army, where he has had a distinguished career, receiving numerous Achievement and Accommodation Awards. For the last 15 years, Dr. Shaffer has been associated with Brooke Army Medical Center, most recently acting as Director for the Gastroenterology Fellowship Program, where he has been responsible for the education and training of countless new gastroenterology physicians. He maintains a Clinical Assistant Professorship at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, where he serves as the Advanced Physical Diagnosis Preceptor for the medical school. Dr. Shaffer and his wife, Stephanie Levine, M.D., are the proud parents of four children. He is also an accomplished writer with numerous abstracts and publications throughout the medical community while continuing to be active in professional organizations, such as the American College of Gastroenterology and the American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy.
- University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, 1980
- George Washington University, Washington, D.C., 1984
Internal Medicine Residency
- William Beaumont Army Medical Center, El Paso, Texas, 1987
- Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas, 1991
- Internal Medicine: 1987
- Gastroenterology: 1991
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine, UTHSCSA, San Antonio, Texas
Awards and Accreditation:
Honors & Awards
- Fellow American College of Physicians (FACP)
- Fellow American College of Gastroenterology (FACG)
- Best Doctors in San Antonio List, San Antonio Magazine, 2015, 2016
- Best Doctors List, SA Scene Magazine, 2016, 2017