Michael Piesman, M.D.
Ages Treated: 18+
- Virtual Telemedicine Visits Available, Call For Details
- Board Certified Gastroenterologist
- Currently Accepting New Patients
- Most Insurance Plans Accepted
- Performs Colonoscopies
About Michael Piesman, M.D.
After a distinguished military career, Dr. Piesman chose to join the physicians at Gastroenterology Consultants in February of 2014. A former Lieutenant Colonel in the U.S. Army, he received various awards and commendations during his 15 years of service to the United States. He most recently served as Chief of Clinical Services and Endoscopy at Brooke Army Medical Center, one of the largest gastroenterology fellowship training centers in the country. Dr. Piesman continued his service to the US Armed Forces in the Texas Army National Guard, where he retired as a Colonel in 2016.
Dr. Piesman was born in Moscow, Russia, immigrated to the US in 1981, and grew up in Los Angeles, CA. After earning his medical degree from Tufts University in Boston, he served as a physician in the U.S. Army in an effort to repay the country that allowed his family safe exit from Russia. Dr. Piesman excels in all areas of GI and has specialized training in therapeutic endoscopy with special interests in biliary, pancreatic, and esophageal disorders. As a Harvard trained endoscopist, Dr. Piesman helps Gastroenterology Consultants establish the largest and most comprehensive advanced endoscopy service in South Texas. He looks forward to building lasting relationships with patients in the private practice setting where he can diagnose their difficult ailments and discuss their life goals and wishes. Dr. Piesman is an avid runner, having competed in several marathons and triathlons. In his spare time, he enjoys bike riding, reading and traveling with his wife, Elizabeth and their three young sons, Samuel, Tyler and Matthew.
- University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, 1994
- Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, 1998
Internal Medicine Internship & Residency
- Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, Washington, 1999-2003
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, 2003-2006
Advanced/Therapeutic Endoscopy Fellowship
- Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, 2006-2007
Awards and Accreditation:
Honors & Awards
- William Beaumont GI Society Master Endoscopy Award, 2010
- Semifinalist, The Bailey K. Ashford Research Symposium, Washington, DC, 2006
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease Mentoring Program, 2005
- Army Commendation and Meritorious Service Award, Camp Humphreys, Korea, 2000
- Magna Cum Laude, UCLA, 1994
- Best Doctors List, SA Scene Magazine, 2016, 2017