J. Ryan Cunningham, M.D.
Ages Treated: 18+
- Board Certified Gastroenterologist
- Currently Accepting New Patients
- Most Insurance Plans Accepted
- Performs Colonoscopies
J. Ryan Cunningham, M.D. Practices at the Following Locations
|San Antonio – Medical Center Hamilton, TX||5223 Hamilton Wolfe, San Antonio, TX 78229||(210) 614-1234||Book an appointment at this location|
|Boerne – Menger Springs 1100, TX||134 Menger Springs, Ste. 1100, Boerne, TX 78006||(210) 614-1234||Book an appointment at this location|
|Bandera, TX||1050 TX-16, Bandera, TX 78003||(210) 614-1234||Book an appointment at this location|
About J. Ryan Cunningham, M.D.
Dr. J. Ryan Cunningham was born and raised in Dalhart, Texas and received his medical degree from Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine. He completed his Internal Medicine residency at Wilford Hall Medical Center in San Antonio and his Gastroenterology fellowship at the University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri. Upon completion of his medical studies, he returned as a faculty member to the combined Army/Air Force GI fellowship program in San Antonio at SAMMC and Wilford Hall where he has been a key clinical faculty member since 2010.
Dr. Cunningham was inspired to pursue a career in medicine by his grandfather, a general practitioner in his hometown of Dalhart. As a young boy, he spent many hours at his medical office and saw firsthand the good work he did for the community on a daily basis. He knew from a very young age that he wanted to follow in his footsteps.
Dr. Cunningham is skilled in all areas of gastroenterology with special interest and training in the diagnosis and treatment of esophageal diseases. He was the first physician in San Antonio to provide treatment for GERD with the Stretta procedure. He is also highly experienced in esophageal manometry, impedance, and wireless pH testing having co-developed a fellowship curriculum for esophageal diseases and diagnostic evaluation. His other GI interests include upper and lower endoscopy, the evaluation and treatment of IBD (Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative colitis), colorectal cancer screening and small bowel capsule endoscopy. Dr. Cunningham looks forward to establishing himself as a compassionate and caring gastroenterologist in the San Antonio community. He and his wife are the proud parents of two active young boys. When not practicing medicine, Dr. Cunningham enjoys coaching his boys’ sports teams and traveling with his family.
“Gastroenterology offers a unique ability to immediately impact patients’ lives in a positive manner through endoscopic procedures. I love having the ability to assess a patient’s complaint with endoscopic evaluations and provide instant feedback on their condition.” – J. Ryan Cunningham, MD
- Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas, 2000
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, Lubbock, Texas, 2004
Internal Medicine Internship
- Wilford Hall Medical Center/SAUSHEC, Lackland AFB, San Antonio, Texas, 2005
Internal Medicine Residency
- Wilford Hall Medical Center/SAUSHEC, Lackland AFB, San Antonio, Texas, 2007
- University of Missouri-Columbia, Columbia, Missouri, 2010
- Internal Medicine: 2007
- Gastroenterology: 2010
- Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
- Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, adjunct appointment
Awards and Accreditation:
Honors & Awards
- Magna Cum Laude, Texas Tech University
- Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society, Golden Key National Honors Society, Texas Tech University
- Internal Medicine Most Valuable Intern, Wilford Hall Medical Center/SAUSHEC, 2004-2005