Harish K. Gagneja, M.D.
Ages Treated: 18+
- Virtual Telemedicine Visits Available, Call For Details
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Board Certified Gastroenterologist
- Currently Accepting New Patients
- Most Insurance Plans Accepted
About Harish K. Gagneja, M.D.
Dr. Harish Gagneja provides cutting edge care in a patient-centered environment. Dr. Gagneja is an expert communicator and is known for his ability to break down the complex world of medical jargon into simple terms that his patients can easily understand, and for working with his patients to create a personalized treatment plan to achieve their health goals. Dr. Gagneja has a keen interest in evaluating newer endoscopy/GI technologies and incorporating them in his practice to help take care of his patients, and frequently presents these emerging technologies at national meetings. Dr Gagneja, affectionately known as “Dr. G.”, and his hand picked team provide the very best care in GI and liver diseases.
Dr. Gagneja’s special interests include:
- Screening colonoscopies, prevention of colo-rectal cancer
- Barrett’s esophagus, with extensive experience in ablation / endoscopic mucosal resection
- Non-surgical resection of large/complex polyps avoiding expensive surgeries and its associated short term and long term complications
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis)
- Treatment of IBD
- Cancer surveillance with chromoendoscopy technology
- Office based and hospital based hemorrhoid treatment avoiding painful surgery
- Latest technology in endoscopy and GI
Before joining Austin Gastroenterology in 2004, Dr. Gagneja was Assistant Professor of Medicine and Co-director of the GI fellowship program at University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, where he was also a lead interventional endoscopist.. He has published multiple abstracts, manuscripts, and book chapters, and has also presented at many national meetings. He has been voted to the Texas Super Doctors list yearly since 2012. He teaches medical students and residents at the Dell Medical School at UT Austin and was voted Consultant of the Year 2003/2004.
He is a proud member of regional and national professional societies including Travis County Medical Society, Texas Medical Association, American College of Gastroenterology, American Gastroenterology Association, Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation, American Society of GI Endoscopy, and Texas Society of Gastroenterology and Endoscopy, where he has served as President. He was recently appointed Governor of the South Texas region of the American College of Gastroenterology. In 2018, Austin Monthly recognized Dr. Gagneja as a Top Doctor, an annual recognition of the best physicians in the Austin area as chosen by their peers.
When he is not busy taking care of his patients, he enjoys traveling, photography, watching sports, playing golf, tennis & badminton, spending time with the family and enjoying fine food coupled with wine. He is a self-proclaimed foodie.
LANGUAGES: English, Hindi, Punjabi, and Urdu. His staff speaks Spanish as well.
Medical Degree: Government Medical College, Guru Nanak Dev University in Punjab, India, 1990
Residency: Internal Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Health System, 1997
Fellowship: Gastroenterology/Hepatology, State University of New York at Buffalo, 2000
Awards and Accreditation:
American College of Gastroenterology
American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
American Gastroenterological Association
Texas Society of Gastroenterology and Endoscopy
Texas Medical Association
Travis County Medical Society