What Causes Bloating?
Bloating commonly occurs due to the buildup of gas in the digestive tract, or retention of fluid. Understanding the causes of bloating can help you know what to do to stop the bloating. It is important to pay attention to the signals your body sends you.
Pay attention to the times and circumstances in which you feel bloated. This will help you understand what makes you feel bloated.
Some of the common causes of bloating to pay attention to are:
- Swallowing air
- Eating too fast- satiety signals can take up to 20 minutes to reach the brain and decrease appetite
- Eating rich and fatty foods
- Eating hard to digest foods
- Gynecological conditions
How Can I Relieve and Avoid Bloating?
If you are feeling bloated often, start by trying some of the suggestions on this list.
- Go for a walk or exercise
- Don’t drink through straws
- Avoid chewing gum
- Don’t smoke
- Avoid carbonated drinks
- Avoid foods with artificial sweeteners, especially fructose or sorbitol
- Eat more slowly
- Avoid beans, lentils, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, prunes, apricots
- Avoid abruptly increasing the amount of fiber you intake
If you are avoiding foods or habits that generally are causing you to feel bloated it is important to contact your gastroenterologist to better understand and diagnose your symptoms.